lunes, 30 de marzo de 2020

Describing your Weekend!

Hi everyone! 

How was your weekend?

Here are some more informal expressions to ask someone about their weekend:

“What did you get up to at the weekend?"
“Did you get up to much at the weekend?”

And here are some useful phrasal verbs you could use:

1. To catch up on: to do something you didn’t have time to do before
-“I caught up on some rest” (to catch is an irregular verb)

2. To wind down: to relax after hard work or stress
-“I wound down a bit” (to wind is an irregular verb)

3. To chill out: to relax after hard work or stress
-“I chilled out all day on the sofa”

4. To work flat out: to be very busy or to do something as fast as possible
-“I worked flat out to meet the deadline”

5. To have your eyes glued to the screen: to be completely focused on the TV screen, watching a show or film that you really like.
-“That film was amazing! My eyes were glued to the screen the whole time”

Look at the example below. This is Tom's weekend:

Tom has been extremely busy with his schoolwork recently, so he decided to chill out at the weekend. He has been studying flat out, working day and night to meet deadlines. He has been exhausted. Some of his friends wanted to talk to him but it was time to wind down. He really needed to catch up on some rest, so he spent all day Saturday chilling out on the sofa watching his favourite series, House Of Cards, on Netflix. Tom loves the storylines and characters and finds the show so interesting. It felt so good to put his feet up without any interruptions. He lay there eating snacks with his eyes glued to the screen, watching episode after episode.

Can you describe your weekend, using some of the phrasal verbs above?

Have fun :)

Leah

18 comentarios:

  1. Hi leah,
    On my weekend Isaw a progam named : "tu cara me suena" I´m were like my eyes glued to the screen becouse this progam is so funny, often I do my homework of music and of this blog I was like work flatout.Then I wind down for a bite and then I talk with miriam, my best friend.
    On sunday I chill out all thr day in my bedroom in videocall whit miriam
    I caught up on to read the book of flanagan
    One kiss, Elisa of 6ºA

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. That sounds like a nice weekend under the circumstances :)
      Well done for using the vocabulary!!

      Eliminar
  2. Hi leah I´m Alberto:
    On my weekend I have been practicing with my flute flat out. Then I wound down seeing a movie ("The lion King"). I caught up on with the homeworks of the blog.In the afertoon I did exercise with my father in my bedroom.At night my eyes were glued to the screen of the tablet. Then I went to my bed.
    A Kiss.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Brilliant examples Alberto! You have done really well on this! :)

      Eliminar
  3. Hi Leah I´m Marcos García-Rama Romano of 5ºB
    On my weekend I have read my favourite book, after I practiced wiht my flut.
    On saturday I watched wiht my family Harry Potter 1.
    On sunday I clened the kitchen wiht my dad, later I wound down a bit, after I watched Harry Potter 2, I called my friends of France.
    At night my eyes were glued bicause I watched TV 5 hours.
    Good bye Leah.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. It sounds like a good weekend, especially with you watching Harry Potter :)

      Eliminar
  4. Hi LEah:
    My weekend has been boring,because since we can't go out, I've been home. Although we have tried to distract ourselves.
    On Saturday morning I caught up on the english homework. Afterwards I chilled out watching a series on Netflix, my eyes were glued to the screen. And when I wound down I played with my mother to make tick tocks.
    Sunday was similar.
    A kiss.
    Irene Uceda 6 A

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Great response Irene! Well done for using the phrasal verbs correctly! :)

      Eliminar
  5. Hi Leah!
    Last weekend I did a lot of things with my family at home. I got up later than the other days, more or less at 10 o´clock. I worked flat out with my homeworks during last week so I need to wind down:my parents put my brothers and I classical music to chill out but it didn´t work...I really wanted to play with the wii: my eyes were glue to the screen for a long time, but my mother told me that I had to catch up on with the English blog.
    When I finished, I played with my family and after we watched a lot of movies. It has been fantastic!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. This is a great response Nico! You have used the phrasal verbs very well - I am impressed :)

      Eliminar
  6. Hi Leah!
    Last weekend i did a lot of things, frist i week up at 10 o´clock. I eaten sup and metballs.
    I eaten to snack orange juice and cookies. Then i played billards whit my family and i eaten for dinner pizza. After i go to my bed to sleep.

    I am Cristina Lozano Díaz of 5B

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hi leah, Im Miriam of 6A
    last weekend i did my homeworks, I was work Flat out .But I caught up Math.When I Finish I go to chilled out in the sofa. I wind down And I saw Noragami, I was like my eyes glued to the screen
    One kiss for you

    ResponderEliminar
  8. These are excellent examples of using the phrasal verbs! Really well done Sergio!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Hello Leah!!
    Last weekend I worked flat out to finish math's homework. Then,I wound down for one hour and I played with the tablet. After I ate, I chilled out in the sofa with my family and we saw Stranger Things. It was exciting!!! My eyes were glued to the screen. Then, I did more math's homework. Two hours later, my dad showed me how to make bread.Next, my brother, my mum and me exercised a lot. Finally, at night, we saw a comedy and we laughted a lot.
    Bye Leah, have a good day!!! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  10. This is an excellent response Nerea!!! Great use of phrasal verbs! I am impressed! 😊

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Fantastic response Mara! 😊 You have used the phrasal verbs very well! Well done!!!

    ResponderEliminar