lunes, 4 de mayo de 2020

The Present Continuous to Talk about Future Actions

Remember:
We can use the present continuous to talk about arrangements (plans which you have organised) in the future.
- My brother is playing football with his friends tonight.
- Are you having a party for your birthday?
Be Careful!
We usually use the present continuous when the activity has been arranged. We usually use ‘going to’ for a plan which hasn’t been arranged.
- I’m meeting Emma after school. (I have talked to her and organised the time to meet.)
- I’m going to watch TV after school. (This is my plan but I haven’t organised it.)
Exercises:
Exercise 1: find the mistake and write the correct sentence. 
a. I’m meet my friend after school.
b. My grandma comes to dinner tonight.
c. I go to the dentist next week.
d. Are you stay at home tonight?
e. My parents is playing tennis on Sunday. 

Exercise 2: complete these sentences. Use the correct form of the present continuous.
1. _____ Alba ___________ to Australia tonight? (travel)
2. Francisco __________ his bicycle this afternoon. (not ride)
3. Pedro ________________ for his English test tomorrow afternoon. (study)
4. ______ Delia ____________ her brother to the shops soon? (take)
5. Pablo ________________ TV this afternoon. (not watch)
6. _____ Jose and Freddie ____________ breakfast tomorrow morning? (make)
7. Veronica _______________ the dishes after lunch. (wash) 

Exercise 3: make 3 sentences of your own. You must use the present continuous to describe something you plan on doing in the future (whether that is tomorrow, next week or after lockdown).

5 comentarios:

  1. Hello Leah. I am Marcos of 5ºB.

    Exercise 1:
    a. I’m meeting my friend after school.
    b. My grandma is coming to dinner tonight.
    c. I am going to the dentist next week.
    d. Are you staying at home tonight?
    e. My parents are playing tennis on Sunday.

    Exercise 12:
    1. __Is___ Alba _traveling___ to Australia tonight? (travel)
    2. Francisco __is not ridyng___ his bicycle this afternoon. (not ride)
    3. Pedro _is studying___________ for his English test tomorrow afternoon. (study)
    4. __Is____ Delia __taking_____ her brother to the shops soon? (take)
    5. Pablo _is not watching_____ TV this afternoon. (not watch)
    6. Are_____ Jose and Freddie __making_____ breakfast tomorrow morning? (make)
    7. Veronica _is washing________ the dishes after lunch. (wash)

    Exercise 3:
    I am gointo to Mcdonals tomorrow.
    You are going to play basketball this afternoon.
    I am eating a big sandwich tomorrow in the morning.

    Bye Bye

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Great work Marcos! 😊
      - Exercise 1 and 2 are perfect 😊
      - Your own examples are very good! Just remember, you don't need to say 'in the morning', you can put 'tomorrow morning'.
      Well done!

      Eliminar
  2. Hi Leah!
    Exercise 1
    a. I’m meeting my friend after school.
    b. My grandma is cominng to dinner tonight.
    c. I´m going to the dentist next week.
    d. Are you staying at home tonight?
    e. My parents are playing tennis on Sunday.
    Exercise 2:
    1. Is Alba travelling to Australia tonight?
    2. Francisco isn´t riding his bicycle this afternoon. (not ride)
    3. Pedro is going to study for his English test tomorrow afternoon. (study)
    4. Is Delia going to take her brother to the shops soon? (take)
    5. Pablo is not going to watch TV this afternoon. (not watch)
    6. Are Jose and Freddie misaking breakfast tomorrow morning? (make)
    7. Verónica is going to washing the dishes after lunch. (wash)
    Exercise 3:
    I´m playing football with my Friends after lockdown
    She is going to the dentist next week
    We are travelling to England next year.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Great work Nico! 😊
      - Exercise 1 is perfect 😊
      - Exercise 2 - re-check sentences 3-7. These are correct but you have used 'going to'. Try to use the present continuous.
      - Exercise 3 - perfect examples 😊
      Well done!

      Eliminar
  3. Great work Sergio! 😊
    - Exercise 1 is perfect 😊
    - Exercise 2 - check sentences 2, 3, 4 and 7. These are correct but you have used 'going to'. Try to use the present continuous.
    - Exercise 3 - great effort! With your first sentence, remember to use the present continuous - 'I'm doing exercise tomorrow'. Your second sentence is prefect! With sentence 3, you have used the present continuous to express a present continuous action. You could say - 'I am watching a TV series with my parents this weekend' to express a future action.
    Well done!

    ResponderEliminar